Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Benny Hill: 'National Smile Week' sketch...

As we're a day away from celebrating the birthdate of the legendary Benny Hill I was searching the video clips and came across a sketch uploaded a couple of days ago. It's a sketch from the January 13, 1988 special...it's the closing sketch called National Smile Week. It's one of his sped-up sketches...no voices...the only thing a viewer hears is the accompanying music and the sound effects. In the sketch you'll practically all of Benny's familiar co-stars as well as some of the Hill's Angels. There is also a kid in this sketch...in case you're not familiar, during this point of his television career, he incorporated children of the stage crew and his co-stars and they were billed on-screen as Hill's Little Angels. The concept of the sketch is to take a look at people, at random, going about their day with smiles on their faces regardless of the misfortune and chaos going on around them. This being a 1988 sketch means Jackie Wright, the little bald guy, isn't among the ensemble. He retired due to illness in 1983. Johnny Hutch, a somewhat similar looking actor, filled in for Jackie and you'll see Johnny in this sketch...he, too, doesn't lose his smile in spite of the bad luck that comes his way. As you can see in the screen cap, Benny is all smiles during this particular scene. Earlier in the sketch he encounters an elderly woman, Hill's Angel Sue Upton in disguise, and he gets car exhaust and fumes blown in his face...but he remains smiling. An image from that scene is in the thumbnail below...


Tomorrow marks the birthdate of the legendary British comedian, Benny Hill. I don't want to get into a lot of other details too soon...I've posted blog entries about him in the past and no doubt the blog entry I write tomorrow will probably cover a lot of information that can be found in the previous blog entries but with a 2021 time stamp. I'd read one of those blog entries that I'd written...I included several photo collages of Benny and I included my own facial expressions, too...sort of a comparison between the two of us as far as comical expressions for the camera are concerned. I don't think I'll be including any of that this time around but I may. I was snapping photo's of myself with my web-camera the other day and I was making some of the most silly, ridiculous faces I could think of...perhaps they'll be in a future blog entry on Benny Hill's birthday tomorrow!?! I don't have those kind of prop teeth to make it appear I'm forever grinning as Benny's wearing in the sketch. I made a collage a couple of minutes ago while simultaneously writing this blog entry. I multi-task. The collage is a side-by-side photo of Jackie Wright and Johnny Hutch.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment